Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sad but true

Is really sad the truth that we are living in this country. The average spanish person doesn't talk english at all. We have a very big problem, that is the fear to fail, the shame to be ridiculous.
And of course the english that we learn is not spoken english, we learn a little grammar and how to pass the exams. I don't know how it is in the language schools but what I see, what I have experimented myself is what I say. We don't learn how to express ourselves in english.
The thing is that in some companies the english sometimes is required. And is so sad when you hear someone trying to talk in english with a client.
I have just heard someone saying "imaje" like you read it in spanish to a client.
I don't know what will happen with the bilingual school students, but as far as I am concerned they don't work with the accent so much, I can see that in my sister, although it seems that she has a very good level but... she doesn't think in english, that's the problem, they have to teach that in a bilingual school, they should do that.
In other european countries you can easily find people talking to you in english when it is not their language at all.
The sad truth is that we don't speak languages.

6 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

I'm totally agree with you, I've finished the five years at language school and of course teachers helped us to improve our pronunciation, but the problem is that this is not enough at all...

I think that the only way of improving is traveling abroad or at least taking some classes with a native.
My experience is that I dind't have a good pronunciation until I didn't make those two things -_-

P.D: I have to say that reading your blog and answering it is helping me to refresh my English ^^

Erzsèbet said...

Hehe Sleepwalker I am glad that is helping someone else. I have changed a few post ago the language so I can force myself a little more even to practice and to improve my language skills. I am moving soon (if everything goes as I have planned) to another country so all the effort seems to be not enough :)

Sleepwalker said...

Oooh! To another country? Can I ask where? ^^
I hope that everything goes as planned!

Erzsèbet said...

To the Netherlands :)

Sleepwalker said...

:O What a wonderful place!!!
Please take some photos and put them here! :D

Anonymous said...

I think the problem is our language. We use the second language in the world (Spanish is more used than English, which is the third) and we have a lot of information, data, ... Then we 'don't need' (see the quotes) anything from the English world...

Maybe the solution will be an unique new language, like the Esperanto, and learn it since the beginning.

Anyway, the curious thing is England: it is one of the worst countries about to learn languages in the world...

Post a Comment